Monday, December 8

Wii Fitting Continues

So. I have no excuse. You know how sometimes when you have nothing to do, it's hard to even wrassle up the energy to do more nothing, i.e. video games. I did a quick body test this morning, and some other time recently, and I have a few things to note.

First, fun stuff happens in the opening menus! It snowed on Saturday. In the menu.
Rich and Andrew are the only other people who have Wii Fit profiles on my system, and since it's in my room, and they have a job and are 200 miles away, respectively, they never play. Wii Fit doesn't know that, though--it thinks they're lazy! Our Mii's line up in the beginning, so you can choose who you are, and what profile you're playing under. I stand in the middle and do showboaty things like warm-up jogs an yoga poses while Rich and Andy yawn and fall asleep standing up. The cows.


Next, I played a little Thanksgiving week, maybe Friday or Saturday morning. And my trainer greats me with a yawn and says she was out late. Now, maybe she was trying to demonstrate that sleep is a fitness factor almost as important as exercise, and maybe she explicitly said as much afterwards, and maybe she lives in a computer, but I thought she and I had an understanding. I play my video game alone in my room for exercise, not socialization.

Then, I had enough strength training credits to unlock the push-up challenge. You "challenge" your instructor to a push-up-off. It starts at 10, and since my shapely arms are 80% show and 20% go, that's where I started. The balance board can tell when you bend and straighten your arms (I guess your arms are supporting more weight when they're bent?) so you can't really cheat, except by doing girly push-ups with your knees on the ground.

So, there I am, completing my 10th girly push-up with my knees on the ground, and my trainer collapses on the floor, breathing heavily (I'm not kidding!) and says something about how strong I am. Either she's patronizing me (whisperingly, I think that's what's going on) or she's been having a lot of late nights in there. Either way, I'm considering putting up with man trainer's advances. It's so hard to find good help.

I, awhile ago, unlocked freestyle jogging and stepping- you just jog in place or step to your heart's content and sound comes out of the wiimote to track your progress or pace you. The idea is that you can turn on the TV and absentmindedly step up and down for 10 minutes and the board counts your steps. I put on music! Because I don't have a cable in my bedroom! But it was fun! Some of my jazzier step weren't counted though- the board is best at picking up even, deliberate movements. The wiimote clicks or chimes or counts at an ideal pace for step-counting, but I was stepping in rhythm with the music. I had so much relative fun, that I left the sound off and music on for extended hula hoops! That worked even better because I could hula along with the beat. I'm planning a photographic feature about rhythmic Wii Fit Hula Hooping. I think it will be instructive.

Hu-la hoops, thrown by my brother,
And my boyfriend, oh mi corazon
Hu-la hoops, cuz it's aerobic
To raise my heart rate, oh mi corazon*

I also did the freestyle job with music playing. I think all the jogging in place is making my calves all swollen, but I "ran" a mile in under 8 minutes, which is impressive for me, since the last time I tried running with any kind of earnestness, I got sick and walked home. I think I can safely attribute my time to my nintendoly-enhanced fitness. (Although, it might have had something to do with Victory Striking Again.)

*I can't help it if a song with historical/political substance is also really excellent for hula hooping.

No comments: