Saturday, November 22

Wii Fitting Continues

I know, you were all like, where were you yesterday, big lady? How about your "Ooh, I'm gonna play Wii Fit everyday and tell you all about it"? You didn't even tell me about anything yesterday!

Here's what happened: I slept until 11am like an unemployed person and then ate a bagel and watched an old TV show on my xbox360, which now allows you to watch streaming video from Netflix, which is great, watched 2 movies I've already seen on my xbox, ate 2 slices of pizza, then played Rock Band 2 on my xbox. Round about 11:30, I decided to take a break, and turned on a different video game system. That's 11:30pm- still yesterday. My wiggly balance board even said that it's nice to unwind with some games at the end of the day. My fitness age was 28 last night, and 41 this morning. So I've played once a day for nearly a week, and there's no way to tell if my health is improving.

The age, like in Brain Age, isn't based on your overall performance- it's based on 2 balance tests, chosen at random. Some of which I'm good at and some, like the "agility test," I'm not. In the agility test, you have to shift your body weight so that a little ball runs into some boxes on the screen. I can't seem to hit more than 14 boxes, but I can whip out a tombe, pas de bouree, glissade, grand jete (developpe) any day of the week. People define agility differently. The puppies were back again, in just about the same spot, so I suspect there isn't all that much variation in the stuff that happens around you during the run. There are fewer puppies on the longer run, which makes it stupid. The wiimote in the pocket is definitely the best way to get an accurate reading.

I've sort of developed a habit--starting off with aerobics, moving on to strength exercises and finishing off with yoga--and routines are supposed to be good for fitness. At least in that if you're used to doing something, you might keep doing it. So late last night, alone in my pajamas, I finish up the aerobic exercises with the little Miis. I pick out a strength exercise and lo and behold, man trainer is smiling and nodding his head, telling me that he's filling in for my usual trainer. In retrospect, it's a way to vary the game and make it more interesting for me, the player. At the time, I actually felt a little uncomfortable. What happened to lady trainer, and what are you doing in my room so late at night? I was so disconcerted that I botched the rowing squats. Needless to say, he was gone when I picked the next exercise. Besides being different sizes and shapes, the male and female trainers also have different training styles. They're both very positive and remind you to breathe and count with them, but lady has a calmer presence, while man is a little more up-beat, or pushy, depending on how much you were expecting to see him. They both have their own set of encouraging phrases they say at different times during the workout, and man trainer told me to visualize my ideal body...two times within one minute. Lady and me have our differences, but I think she's a little more professional. Even if she did ditch me last night.

No comments: